Fay’s Profile

Educational/Work History

After completing my Teaching qualification (Dip Teach  Primary/Early Childhood;  1989 – BCAE), I taught for Education Queensland for 7 years in Pre-school and Year 1 classrooms. Following this I worked as a Family Day Care and In-Home Care Co-ordinator fo approximately ten years. During my time as a Co-ordinator I learnt many new skills whilst still working in the area of  Early Childhood Education.

Career Goals

Upon completing my   Masters of Education in Teacher-Librarianship , I aim to gain employment in a Public Library setting. I have always loved reading and particularly enjoyed teaching early literacy skills during my teaching career. Working as a Librarian will allow me to share my love of reading and learning within  a community-centred environment. I am now doing my 5th subject of the TL course and have found the course  to be both enjoyable and challenging.

CLN647

This subject, Youth, Popular Culture and Texts, has  increased my awareness of the cultural forms that children and adolescents are currently  engaging with. As technology and popular culture are an integral part of the lives of  the youth of today, it is vitally important that Teachers and Librarians have a thorough understanding of these areas. As Public Libraries sometimes struggle to engage adolescents, this unit will be of particular relevance to my future work practices.